Washington, DC (March 3, 2015) – Although Washington, DC has been touted as a very accessible city, it can become limiting when you simply want to enter a space, grab a drink, and use the facilities without facing too many barriers like ramps, steps, inclines or declines. Especially if you have a torn Achilles tendon!
Here is a list of hotel lobbies, in no particular order, that fit the bill; even surfaces throughout the lobby (from the outside entrance to the check-in to restaurant lobby bar), access to restaurant/bar menu and drinks, and facilities available on the same even floor surface.
– Capella Hotel – A hidden gem for sure, but when you get past the cobble stone walkway in Georgetown, the entrance to the Capella is welcoming and luxurious. Stately lobby and a great canal view from the Rye Bar, you wont find many restrictions. Capella Hotel is located at 1050 31st St Northwest.
– Rouge Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel – One of Kimpton’s babies, this super boutique hotel is located at the tip of Scott Circle, positioning you just a quick distance from the White House, and the foodie-bustle on 14th Street. Don’t shy away from the bar, as the mixologists like to experiment with you, so come with a relaxed attitude. Rouge Hotel is located at 1315 16th Street Northwest.
– Sofitel Hotel – Just around the corner from the White House and Joe’s Seafood, is a great hotel lobby ready to give you a touch of French luxury hospitality. Easy entrance; cocktails to the left and dinner on the right, this lobby is distinctive and a great place to gather. Sofitel Layfayette Square is located at 806 15th Street Northwest.
– Hilton Garden Inn Downtown – Unsuspecting, this hotel offers an easy entrance to arguably a great Comfort Food menu from Chef Christopher B. Willis’ Grist Mill. Don’t be fooled by this out-of-towner hotel, the lobby is easy-going and you might just meet someone from your hometown. Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown 815 14th Street Northwest.
– Liaison Hotel – Popular by real lobbyists, the Liaison Hotel is a quick jaunt from Capitol Hill. Swing in the entrance and head right over to Art Smith’s super polished Art & Soul for hand-crafted, cocktails and… well just about everything else on the menu. The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel is located at 415 New Jersey Avenue Northwest.
– Donovan House – Another Kimpton selection, this hotel located at Thomas Circle is a small lobby with modern accents and remarkably helpful staff. Just off to the lobby is Zentan, its name was inspired by the Mandarin word for ‘detective’ paying homage to CIA founder, William Donovan. The Donovan is located at 1155 14th Street Northwest.
– Washington Hilton – High profile events, and conferences are usually hosted at this history-heavy location. Step in this entrance and head left to their bar options; TDL Lounge is a newer open-space millennial hub, and McClellan’s Sports Bar is hardwood and stiff drinks. Choose wisely. Hilton Washington is located at 1919 Connecticut Avenue Northwest.
– Dupont Hotel – Head inside and find a spot facing Dupont Circle for the best in people-watching. Younger clientele, eager to share their schedules with friends and going away happy hours are paired with decent beers and juicy hotel burgers. Use this place as a comfortable lilly-pad to end your work day. The Dupont Circle Hotel is located at 1500 New Hampshire Avenue Northwest.
– Renaissance Hotel, Dupont Circle – A favorite for their RLive lobby music and casual sophistication in the M Bar, every thing feels even and balanced. A large living room area gives you room to stretch out and there are many seating arrangements. Its energetic but calming all at the same time. Renaissance Washington, DC Dupont Circle Hotel 1143 New Hampshire Avenue Northwest.
– The Ritz Carlton, Washington, DC – The last on the list, but certainly not the least. Refined luxury welcomes every guest. The lobby space is grand and there are many private nooks and corners to get lost in. Sit for tea, or sit by the fire, enjoy a good glass of red wine or a small bite from the intimate lobby bar. Westend Bistro is also just around a connected corner. The Ritz Carlton is located at 1150 22nd Street Northwest.
*the hotels listed may not be ADA Compliant Hotels, but they meet the criteria listed above.