Honorees include the Honorable Lisa P. Jackson, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency, Sheila Johnson, President and CEO of Salamander Hospitality, LLC and President of the Washington Mystics; Linda W. Cropp, Retired Chair, City Council, District of Columbia; Johnetta B. Cole, Ph.D., Director of the Smithsonian Museum of African Art, and former President of Spelman College; and Floretta Dukes McKenzie, Ed.D., Chairman Emerita, Howard University Board of Trustees and former Superintendent of DC Public Schools.
“Our chapter is proud of the achievements of these women in government, business, academia, politics and the arts. Our honorees demonstrate that women are achieving in all sectors of society,” remarked Claudia McKoin, President, Capital City Links. The Capital City Links fundraiser, in collaboration with The Links Foundation, supports the chapter’s community service programs in DC, including:
- The Alice B. Coleman Annual Senior Citizens Luncheon, an annual recreational day for 150 seniors
- “Evolutionary Woman,” a mentoring program for teenage girls at Dunbar High School
- Boys Town, a development and support program for the residents and staff of Boys Town, in Northeast DC
- ArtReach, for youth sponsored by the Corcoran Art Gallery
- Food2Feed, a holiday food drive in collaboration with NBC and WHUR Howard University Radio
The Capital City Links are a chapter of The Links Incorporated, a national organization of women dedicated to public service throughout America.