The St. James celebrated its grand opening on Saturday, September 15, 2018 welcoming thousands to its 20-acre campus for its opening day with activities and experiences for all ages.
Located about a 30 minute drive from Downtown DC, the 450,000 sq. ft. complex offers the most comprehensive combination of sports and wellness venues, programming and services, lifestyle, hospitality and active entertainment experiences in the Greater Washington region.
“Our aim is to truly transform the experience of everyone in the active family seeking to accomplish their goals in sports and wellness,” said The St. James Co-Founder and Co-CEO Kendrick Ashton during the grand opening ceremony.
Before cutting the ribbon with the help of their families, local community and government leaders and mascots from the region’s top sports teams, Co-Founders Craig Dixon and Kendrick Ashton were joined for brief remarks by Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova, Supervisor Penny Gross and Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax.
The St. James grand opening celebration welcomed more than 7,000 people to experience the comprehensive offerings available at The St. James with exhibition games and activities throughout the complex. Highlights of the day included:
- Sunrise Yoga
- Kaza Dance
- Interactive Water Park
- Opportunities to play soccer, lacrosse, football, rugby, basketball, volleyball, squash and golf
- Exhibition games of hockey, soccer, squash and water polo
- Visits from local sports celebrities including Deangelo Hall and Darrell Green and many others.
- Mascots from local professional and college teams, including Slapshot from the Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals and G-Wiz from the NBA’s Washington Wizards
- Spa services from newly launched brand, Courted
- Food courtesy of Chef Spike Mendelsohn and more . . .
In addition, The St. James founding member Alex Ovechkin, captain of Stanley Cup champions the Washington Capitals, stopped by the festivities to work with The St. James’s U10 travel hockey team during their exhibition game on Saturday afternoon.
The St. James expects to open a second flagship destination in the northern suburbs of Chicago in early 2021 and is working to bring The St. James to additional markets around the country.
The St. James. 6805 Industrial Road, Springfield, VA 22151. (703) 215-8905.