Washington, DC (July 27, 2014) – The DC Preservation League celebrates the rehabilitation of yet another historic rehabilitation—1216 18th Street. Originally built about 1880, this address now houses “Sauf Haus,” a new Bier Garten.
Located in the heart of Dupont Circle Historic District, this nineteenth century Mediterranean-style commercial and residential building has housed a variety of local businesses including the architecture firm of Rodier & Kundzin, the Manoukian Rug Store and most recently The Guitar Shop.
DCPL Executive Director Rebecca Miller notes that, “the addition is a thoughtful solution that solves two design challenges: hiding a current eyesore – the very visible and large mechanical equipment on the first floor roof along Jefferson Place– and creating additional space for commercial use at the third floor level.”
1880 – Construction
1887 – Robert T. Edes, Doctor, American Neurological Association
1896 – Mrs. Roberdeau Buchanan, Board of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
BRICKS & BEER EVENT JULY 29, 2014
Bricks & Beer is $20 at the door which includes two free drink tickets. Become a member of DCPL ($50 Individual/ $75 Family—tax deductible) and the suds are free all evening. Tickets are available at www.dcpreservation.org. All donations made to DCPL are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law and fund outreach and education programs throughout the city.