Washington, DC (July 11, 2012) – Since opening the inaugural Dupont Circle FreshFarm Market15 years ago in July 1997, FreshFarm Markets has grown into the largest network of producer-only farmers markets in the Chesapeake region and a national leader in the local food movement. To celebrate, an old-fashioned birthday party will be held in the original market location in the PNC Bank parking lot at Massachusetts Avenue and P Street, N.W. from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The party is free, but donations are happily accepted.
The weekend markets, including Annapolis, Bethesda, Dupont Circle, H St., NE, Silver Spring, and St. Michaels Market will host a kid-friendly vegetable and fruit passport game with farm inspired temporary tattoo prizes. Other family-friendly activities include music from the Kim Reynolds Quartet at the Silver Spring FreshFarm Market and a farm themed mural that kids can add their own designs to at the Annapolis FreshFarm Market.
The party in Dupont Circle includes:
- Live music curated by Sweetgreen including John and Paul Thornley Brothers of U.S. Royalty and Modern Man, Tiffany Thompson and renowned bluegrass legend Tom Gray with Newgrass Effect.
- Local, fresh food and beverages from FreshFarm Market producers and supporters will be available for purchase. Participants include Capital Kettle Corn (6 flavors of kettle corn and Peach frozen lemonade), Chipotle (Pork Soft Tacos), Eco-Friendly Foods, Honest Tea, Executive Chef Tony Breeze and celebrity crab picker Georgia Cephas from the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort (Choptank Blue Crab Cakes and Grilled Watermelon Salad), Think Food Group with a giant paella, Sweetgreen (Sweetpress juices) and Pleasant Pops (Fresh fruit seasonal pops).
- Face painting and balloon twisting.
- The chance to win great raffle prizes including one of Sweetgreen’s coveted bikes, gift certificates from area restaurants and more.
- Ceremonial birthday cake cutting with invited dignitaries.
Check it out this Sunday! Sponsors of the birthday bash include: Acme Paper, Clean Currents, Honest Tea, Sweetgreen, Think Food Group.